Salary / Hourly Rate
£30k – £35k
Purpose of the job
Our client is the UK’s leading importer and distributor of avocados, with a long history of growth and success.
Based in Spalding, their large and busy site manages the importation, storage, ripening, packing and distribution of avocados, 7 days per week.
This highly successful business is looking for a dynamic Health and Safety Manager to join their management team.
You will work closely with the client’s health and safety external consultant and departmental managers, ensuring that the site maintains its’ excellent record of health and safety.
The days of work are Monday to Friday, 8 am – 5 pm.
Duties and Responsibilities
Health & Safety:
- Support the task RA, manual handling RA, machinery RA with all departmental Managers
- Manage the H&S plan in accordance with the yearly H&S internal audit
- Carry out regular site H&S inspections to check policies/procedures are being adhered to
- Review the SSOW for all 3 sites, formulating a risk assessment plan to cover all activities with support of the departmental Managers
- Accident Investigation & Reporting – liaising with HSE and loss adjuster
- Near Miss Reporting and investigation
- Develop cleaning schedules with departmental managers for each area.
- Identify and implement cost savings where possible
- Arrange for external cleaning company to conduct cleaning.
- Inspect cleaning when complete to ensure at the correct standard.
- Manage COSHH for chemical used during cleaning (Or ensure external cleaning company have this covered).
- Work with production team on areas that need covering for cleaning during downtime.
- Work with Quality Assurance managers on customer and BRC audit site standards
Skills and experience required:
- Understanding of the H&S at work Act and related regulations
- NEBOSH Certificate or would work towards
- ISOH Certificate
- Understanding of retailer standards in a food production environment
- The ability to work flexibly within the requirements of the business
- Team player with sound interpersonal skills/cross departmental skills
- Confident in managing a small dedicated team
- Shows initiative
- Proactive approach
- Attention to detail
Health & Safety – Special Responsibilities
- To take reasonable care for the health and safety of yourself and of other persons who may be affected by your acts or omissions at work.
- To co-operate with employer, as far as necessary, in observing the requirements of the ‘Health and Safety at Work Act’ plus amendments and COSHH Regulations.
- You shall not, intentionally or recklessly, interfere with or misuse anything provided in the interest of health and safety welfare at work.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that your work area is kept clean and tidy at all times. Any spillages within your work area should be dealt immediately in order to minimise risk of accident to yourself or a work colleague.
- You shall wear protective clothing or eye protection when provided by the Company
For the right candidate, this is an excellent opportunity to join one of the area’s leading and most successful businesses.
Hours: 8 am – 5 pm
Days : Monday – Friday
Salary: £30k – £35k